The key laboratory was identified by Tianjin Science and Technology Bureau and Tianjin Education Commission on November 28, 2018 (Jin Keji  No. 161). The director of the key laboratory is Professor Xueqiang Lu and the deputy director is Professor Minghua Zhou At present, there are 28 regular members, including 18 members with senior titles.
In order to fulfill the scientific and technological needs for the ecological civilization construction and the pollution prevention and control, the key laboratory mainly focuses on the complex trans-media pollution of inorganic salts, nutrients and refractory organic substances in industry, agriculture and basin processing. The laboratory aims to develop a new type of environmental governance technology model which takes media coupling, regional collaboration, process synchronization, and system solution into account instead of the conventional single-element, split-type environmental governance technology model. The laboratory also aims to become a scientific research and talent training base with certain international influence in the environmental field.
Main research directions
Direction 1: Green emission reduction technology of macromolecular organic compounds and inorganic salt compound pollutants in industrial processes
In view of the problem of high-salt refractory wastewater in petrochemical, pharmaceutical, printing and dyeing industries in Tianjin and even China, we aim to solve the lack of core treatment technology by developing world-leading technologies of low-energy inorganic salt recovery and refractory organic matter separation, conversion and zero-emission. Through the establishment of demonstration projects of high-salt refractory wastewater pollution control, zero-emission and resource recycle systems, we tried to provide technical support for pollution control in the industrial park. The main technologies are listed as follows:
1. Recovery and purification technology of typical industrial refractory organic matter and nutrient;
2. Multi-phase refractory organic materials and inorganic salts synchronous purification and recovery technology;
3. Deep purification and reuse technology of complexed wastewater.
Direction 2: The control technology of complexed pollutants of nutrient salts in agricultural process
In order to treat the non-point source pollution caused by the improper application of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, and the difficulties in agricultural waste reuse (including carbon emission problems in the process of reuse), we tried to achieve the goals of improving agricultural soil quality and establishing a sustainable agricultural system by studying the migration and conversion of agricultural pollutants in different medias, and the reuse technology of agricultural wastes. The main technologies are listed as follows:
1. The regulation and control technology for non-point source nutrient salts in agricultural areas in the cycle of water, soil, and living creatures;
2. The material recovery, energy conversion and safe disposal technologies for regional agricultural wastes and wastewater.
Direction 3: Technology for environmental capacity increase and ecological function enhancement in the basin area
The Identification and judgement of the ecological and environmental problems of the Haihe River Basin are conducted based on the overall process of the basin (Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Region). The natural-social coupling ecological management methods of basin region are also studied in order to achieve a fundamental improvement in environmental quality and ecological functions in the regional basin. The main technologies are listed as follows:
1. Multi-spatial and dimensional observation technology of key coastal zone;
2. Dynamic simulation and regulation technology of basin ecological process and ecological environmental capacity;
3. Ecological function enhancement technology based on landscape use and ecological function optimization.
Projects and achievements
In the past three years, the laboratory has won 7 provincial and ministerial-level scientific and technological awards, authorized 20 invention patents, and published nearly 300 papers.